Plum cake: The light in dark days
- €3,63 a person
- 6 persons
- 750 gram Damson plums
- 300 gram self-raising flour
- 50 gram butter (unsalted)
- 130 gram white sugar
- 2 small bags of vanilla sugar
- 4 tablespoons of water
- a litlte bit salt
- Round cake pan (like this one: link)
Autumn is on its way. Slowly the sun is giving room to falling leaves and rainy days. It all sounds worse than it actually is. There is much more to life than drinking beer and BBQing with your friends. The fact we’re all moving back indoors to spend our days, means it’s time again for more sweetness!
Whether you and your friends are bored, you have to plan a fun date with your current or future lover, or simply want to have something delicious to eat while binge watching your new favorite series, there’s nothing better to do than to bake a ‘vlaai’ No tart dear readers, but a real Limburgian vlaai as only the inhabitants of the Southern parts of the Netherlands bake. Sounds hard? No worries. We’ll prove you quite the opposite.
As an homage to the tasteful summer season which has recently ended, we’ll show you how to bake an original plum vlaai. It’s as authentic as your grandma, as simple as cracking an egg, and solely the scent will make your neighbours ask for a piece while it’s still in the oven.
What does one need?
Is that all? Yup, it is. Will it get better? Of course, the fun has only just begun.
● Set the oven to preheat to 200°C. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Start with weighing the butter. Cut it into smaller pieces and set it aside to let it get to room temperature. Now you have time to get working on the plums. Cute these in the length in two, release both sides from each other and throw away the seeds. Again, cut the plum to divide into quarters. Put all the quarters of plum together and as well, set aside for later.
● Weigh the self-raising flour and the white sugar. Add both the bags of vanilla sugar and the pinch of salt. Create with this mixture a little heap on your kitchen bench. With a fist, create a hole in the middle of this mixture and put 4 tablespoons of water and the butter into the hole. Now gently start mixing it all together. After a while there’ll start to form a compact dough, which you roll into a ball. Make sure you mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
● Take the round cake pan and grease it with a little butter. Cut your dough in half twice, and cut that half into two quarters. Set aside 1⁄4 of the dough, mold the remaining 3⁄4 into a ball again to use for laying the vlaai’s foundation.
● You could use a rolling pin (like we did), or you can use your hands to flatten the dough out. It doesn’t matter, as long as you make sure there’s about 0,5 cm of dough forming a solid bottom in the cake pan. Now you use the remaining 1/4th of dough to cover the sides of the pan. If done correctly, the sides connect to make a solid wall for the vlaai. The sides are allowed to be a little thicker.
● The last step is to spread the plumparts on top of the bottom. Lay down the plumquaters to form a circle. Start at the edges and work your way to the middle.
● Got the bottom completely covered? Put the cake pan into the preheated oven in the middle of the rack. Let it sit there for +/- 30 minutes.
● Time’s up? Take it out of the oven and sprinkle a little sugar over the top. Let it cool down and yeah let’s go
People will spontaneously start speaking with a Southern Dutch dialect once they’ve tasted your freshly baked vlaai. Easy peasy, plumpie. If you wish to bring more light into your dark days by baking a Southern Dutch delicacy, check the recipe book we added in the link below. You’ll probably find even more ideas in there.
Producten die handig zijn bij dit recept:
Wilton Ronde Quiche Bakvorm -23cm-
Maak een heerlijke quiche, fruit taart, vlaai en meer in de Wilton Perfect Results ronde quiche vorm. De bakvorm heeft een non-stick laag, zodat je traktatie gemakkelijk loslaat.Meer informatie
Kunststof deegroller - Antikleef - Rolstok - Kleiroller - Wit
Deze stijlvolle deegrol is ideaal voor het uitrollen van alle soorten deeg. De rolstok is vaatwasser bestendig.Meer informatie